These molasses-laced spiced pancakes are fluffy yet hearty, and both warming and comforting. They’re for Christmas morning and special occasions, but they’re also for those other days when we need some warmth and cheer. I hope you enjoy them on a cozy winter morning soon.
Fluffy, comforting whole wheat pancakes flavored with ginger and molasses. I love to top mine with maple syrup and a dollop of almond butter or, if I'm feeling decadent, a dollop of orange cream cheese*. Yields 8 medium pancakes, enough to feed 2 to 4.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 large egg
- 3 tablespoons unsulphured molasses (the strength of your molasses will determine the intensity of the gingerbread flavor—lighter molasses imparts less flavor, whereas blackstrap can be pretty intense)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
CLICK TO SEE THE RECIPE - CREDIT COOKIE AND KATE